Thursday, February 13, 2020

Game Night (2018)

There is a reason why I chose the film that I did for today and it has a lot to do with sibling rivalries because it's a real thing. Anyone that has a brother/sister or multiple siblings knows that you are at least competitive with one of them in almost everything. That is the underlying subject matter in today's film in 2018's mystery comedy flick Game Night that was directed by John Francis Daley (Waiting...) and Jonathan Goldstein (Horrible Bosses). The film stars Jason Bateman (Horrible Bosses) as super ultra competitive Max who seems to have it all , but one thing. All he has ever wanted to do is beat his big brother Brooks (Kyle Chandler) at anything whether it be a game or just life itself. One night, Brooks decides to invite Max and the crew to a special edition of Game Night, but the only problem is that Brooks is kidnapped for real and Max and co. have to try and save him before it's too late. The film also stars Rachel McAdams (Mean Girls) as Annie, Sharon Horgan (Catastrophe) as Sarah, Billy Magnussen (The Big Short) as Ryan, Lamorne Morris (New Girl) as Kevin, Kylie Bunbury (Tut) as Michelle, Jesse Plemons (Black Mass) as Gary, Michael C. Hall (Dexter) as The Bulgarian, and Danny Huston (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) as Donald Anderton.

In a world full of plenty of dumb comedies, I feel like Jason Bateman who may seem dry as far as his sense of humor, but it's smart comedy. I say that because I loved this movie and you pair him with anyone and it can be funny (well maybe not Identity Thief) just like they did here with the always beautiful Rachel McAdams. In my opinion, they made a great on screen duo that helped carry the film from the inception to the finish. There were other elements that helped in making if funny and it seemed like the perfect pairings like the dumb one with the smart Irish girl and the almost seamlessly perfect couple who have been dating since middle school and now have found a reason to not be so perfect thanks to a game of never have I. I have to give huge props though to Jesse Plemons who plays the off balanced, I'm still obsessed with my wife police officer because he did it so well and he made it unpleasant. There's plenty of fun filled action and plenty of twists that will leave you wanting more and just in case you wondering! They did leave it up to the studio if there would be a sequel, but I would be OK with one film. One of my favorite scenes has to be the bullet removal scene, the back and forth banter between them was just awesome and hilarious. I definitely suggest checking this one out if you need a comedy to watch and you want some adventure with it. I am going to give the film an A- for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment