Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Scoob! (2020)

When movie theaters were still a thing in the world before the attack of Covid-19, one of the trailers I remember watching was for a new Scooby Doo film and I have loved Scooby ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, Covid came and I didn't know when we were going to be able to see this until it landed on demand and Redbox and now for today we are checking out Scoob! which was directed by Tony Cervone (Space Jam). The film touched a little upon how Shaggy and Scooby came to meet and how the team became Mystery Inc., but years later Scooby and the gang are on a greater mission to stop a dastardly villain from releasing the ancient Cerberus while Scooby realizes that he is destined for something greater. The film stars Will Forte (Booksmart) as Shaggy, Gina Rodriguez (Jane The Virgin) as Velma, Zac Efron (High School Musical) as Fred, Amanda Seyfried (Alpha Dog) as Daphne, Frank Welker (The Transformers: The Movie) as Scooby-Doo, Mark Wahlberg (Spencer Confidential) as Blue Falcon, Ken Jeong (The Hangover) as Dynomutt, Kiersey Clemons (Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising) as Dee Dee, Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets) as Dick Dastardly, Tracy Morgan (Top Five) as Captain Caveman, Simon Cowell as Simon Cowell, and Billy West (Space Jam) as Muttley.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised by the overall film to the point that I think I would invite a sequel if that became an option. Better yet, I would be open to a Hanna-Barbera universe if they were to create one because I loved seeing Captain Caveman and many of the other characters that appear in the film as Easter Eggs and some special cameos. I absolutely loved all of the voice acting in the film, I thought everyone did a superb job with their tasks and funny enough I did not know that Zac Efron was Fred the whole entire film until the very end. The only person that I didn't really enjoy to be honest was Mark Wahlberg and it's only because I kept thinking that he was channeling Ryan Reynolds the whole entire film and maybe that is not his fault 100% because the character was very similar to Deadpool as far as the way they interact (and that's all that is similar) to others like being fun loving and carefree of responsibility. So while that may not be all his fault, I thought Ryan Reynolds would have been better in the film. Other than that, I didn't really think there was much wrong with the film, there were some predictable things, but other than that it was really fun. One thing that I thought was funny, but it was risque was Dastardly's interaction with Scooby the first time he tells him his name. I thought it was risque because kids would watch it, but I think it was humor thrown in for the folks. They play homage to the original Scooby Doo series right in the beginning which earned brownie points from me and it's an overall fun movie to watch. I am going to give it an B+ for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment