Sunday, January 12, 2020

A Star Is Born (2018)

One of the biggest hits of 2018 was a film that I didn't bother check out when it was in the theaters. The film I am talking about was nominated for eight Oscars, but only took home the award for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures in A Star Is Born. The film stars Bradley Cooper (Guardians Of The Galaxy) as country singer Jackson Mane who is a little rough around the edges, but one day he discovers a young and upcoming singer in Ally (Lady Gaga). Despite all of the faults that she believes she has, he sees the true talent and beauty in her, but the only problem is that when her fame begins to rise he falls into a deep downward spiral that he can't seem to get out of. The film also stars Andrew Dice Clay (The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane) as Lorenzo, Sam Elliot (The Big Lebowski) as Bobby, Rafi Gavron (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist) as Rez Gavron, Anthony Ramos (Godzilla: King Of The Monsters) as Ramon, Dave Chappelle (Half Baked) as Noodles, Ron Rifkin (L.A. Confidential) as Carl, with appearances by Halsey, Alec Bladwin, Marlon Wayans, and the film was written and directed as well by Bradley Cooper.

Some of the incredible things about this films is that Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper wrote (some of the tracks) and sang the songs. This is a masterpiece and Bradley Cooper nailed it to the point that I was frustrated I waited this long to see it. The thing I will admit is that while this is a remake of a remake of a remake so I wanted to watch the original three films, but it would take too long to search so I went a hunch and watched this one. I will also say that both Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper did a phenomenal job in the film as Cooper surprised you with the singing and Gaga with her acting. I have always maintained that Lady Gaga was very pretty and this film was one example of how beautiful and talented of a singer that she is. The cinematography was absolutely amazing and it had to be with all of the concert footage that they shot for the film. The ending of the film I am a little harsh on because no matter what that twerp had said to me, I would have never listened to him, but then again do ever really know who is on our side or what exactly was he going through at the time. I'd love to sit back and check out the previous three versions of the film to see how they all compare to each other. Nonetheless, the film featured great writing as far as script, great songwriting, and great acting all around. You have to give them credit for adapting the music to what was popular in this day and age which is pop and country music. I am sure in another 20 or 30 years they'll be a fifth version of the film because it is a classic story of fame and how it eats you alive. That is why I am going to give the film an A for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment