Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Action Point (2018)

Do you know what happens when you mix Jackass, Bad Grandpa, and Adventureland all in one? Well, one thing is for certain, you get less drama, but you get the 2018 comedy Action Point which was directed by Tim Kirkby and has Johnny Knoxville (Jackass/Bad Grandpa) as it's main star. Knoxville plays D.C. an old man who is just trying to connect with his granddaughter while babysitting her one day. He tells her the story of how he used to own a rogue, DIY amusement park back in the day called Action Point and how he spent one summer trying to connect with his daughter Boogie (Eleanor Worthington-Cox) who comes to visit him with a motive in mind. The film also stars Chris Pontius (Wild Boys) as Benny, Dan Bakkedahl (The Heat) as Knoblach, Johnny Pemberton (22 Jump Street) as Ziffel, Brigette Lundy-Paine (The Glass Castle) as Four Finger Annie, Eric Manaka as Rodney, Joshua Hoover (The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul) as Hot Headed Pete, Conner McVicker (My Blind Brother) as Stiv, Camilla Wolfson (Order Of The Dragon) as Mia, Susan Yeagley (Almost Famous) as Adult Boogie, Matt Schulze (The Fast And The Furious) as Killer, and Kevin Otto (Chappie) as Mayor.

There are not a lot of laughs in this film as most of the jokes in the film have been played out for too long, but when there is something funny; you cherish that moment. They do a pretty decent job of storytelling in the film, but what I wish they had done a better job with was the whole scenario when Boogie runs away. She just sort of sits there and excepts him back into his life when he makes a lame comparison to her and the park. One of the funniest characters in the film award definitely goes to Chris Pontius who at moments can be creepy, but he steals a lot of scenes in the film from Johnny Knoxville. For example, check out the scene when Chris has to break into the news station, that was great and had me laughing for sure. I do have to admit, I think it's his awkwardness that I find charm in besides the fact that he just looks charming. As I said above, you can describe this film as Jackass, Bad Grandpa, and Adventureland without the great subplots and that would be the best way to describe how this film felt to me anyways. I didn't do a lot of soul searching when it came time to pick a film for today, I just sort of said well this should be funny. I avoided it in theaters for a reason, but it was on Hulu and I said oh what the hell, I'll check it out. Well, I am going to give the film an D+ for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment