Wednesday, June 10, 2020

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 10- Prince Of Darkness (1987)

I may have grown up mostly in the 1990's considering I was born in 1982, but I definitely remember a lot of the 1980's as far as films were concerned. No one in my opinion was more bad ass than John Carpenter (Halloween) who had released films like The Thing, The Fog, Big Trouble In Little China, They Live, and so much more. Besides Halloween, these films were enough to earn him the title of being my favorite director and today's task was to watch a film from my favorite director and I chose 1987's Prince Of Darkness. A priest in Southern California passes away holding a deep and dark secret that is revealed to a new priest (Donald Pleasence) and after learning of this secret he hires a geology team to investigate a strange sphere that if they open it could spell doom for the world. The film also stars Alice Cooper as a Hobo, Jameson Parker (JAG) as Brian Marsh, Victor Wong (Big Trouble In Little China) as Professor Bisark, Lisa Blount (An Officer and A Gentlemen) as Catherine, Dennis Dun (Big Trouble In Little China) as Walter, Susan Blanchard (They Live) as Kelly, Anne Marie Howard (Blue Streak) as Susan, Ann Yen (What Is Love?) as Lisa, Dirk Blocker (Starman) as Mullins, Peter Jason (Escape From LA) as Leahy, and Jessie Lawrence Ferguson (Boyz N Tha Hood) as Calder.

It's kind of a quirky film that looks at this idea of what if there was a son of Satan much like how we view Jesus as the son of God. Except we all believe that Jesus had died and what not, but this one is trapped and enclosed in some sort of glass sphere. He is in a liquid form just waiting to get out and get inside the one he has chosen worthy of holding his spirit. So you can see what we are dealing with in this film as far as the subject matter is concerned, but I definitely enjoyed the film although I don't find it to be his best film. It has everything you would want from a Carpenter film like the music and how he makes it truly part of the film as it helps tell the story. It has a lot of great actors that we loved from back in the day like Wong and Dun who make a great combo, but Dun's character in this is far from his Big Trouble character. I don't understand how the Hobos play into the picture considering the ones truly possessed had liquid squirted in their mouths, but they trapped them in the church which I guess works too. The cinematography was pretty decent, I like Carpenter's style of filmmaking as the man truly is a master of horror. When I said it wasn't my favorite, I didn't mean it in a bad way, he just has so many amazing films in his arsenal. Nonetheless, it was a different style of horror that deserves a view or two and that is why I am going to give it an B+ for a final grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment