Thursday, June 4, 2020

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 4- Blood Quantum (2020)

We are now well into our 30 day movie challenge (done the right way) and today was a day that I was looking forward to the most because today called for a horror film and I am a huge horror freak. So to help me on this journey of fulfillment, I turned to the one horror app everyone should have in Shudder to help me find my film. The movie that I chose for today gained a lot of buzz due to covid-19 and that film is 2020's Shudder exclusive Blood Quantum which was written, directed, music by, and edited by Jeff Barnaby (Rhymes For Young Ghouls). Something strange is happening near the isolated Mi'gMaq reserve of Red Crow as the dead keep coming back to life. The kicker to all this is the only ones immune to this pandemic are the Native Americans that live in this reserve. The film stars Michael Greyeyes (Fear The Walking Dead) as Traylor, Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers (The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open) as Joss, Forrest Goodluck (The Miseducation of Cameron Post) as Joseph, Kiowa Gordon (The Twilight Saga: New Moon) as Lysol, Olivia Scriven (Degrassi: The Next Generation) as Charlie, Stonehorse Lone Goeman as Gisigu, Brandon Oakes (Bad Blood) as Bumper, William Belleau (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse) as Shooker, Devery Jacobs (American Gods) as James, and Gary Farmer (The Score) as Moon.

This was actually a very interesting take on the zombie genre and thank whoever for that because we have had the zombie genre shoved down our throats forever now so it's nice to see it done differently. My screenwriting professor once told me that you can choose to do this particular genre and this particular type of film, but what are you bringing to the table that is fresh and new? If you do not have anything fresh or new to bring then you are just mimicking what everyone else has already down and there is nothing wrong with that if you are paying tribute. I lied the fact that this pure blood Native Americans were immune to the virus because I think the film was a play on the actual Blood Quantum Laws which was a way for the United States to be able to judge who was full blooded whatever. It was a way for the government to control how things were done and if you want to read more, then click here. The film actually has some pretty sick kills within and one character even has his penis ripped off and you see the girl chowing down on it like it's a Johnsonville Bratwurst. The film's subplots are there, but there very subtle at times, but they do play a big effect in what happens towards the end of the film so pay attention to relationships. Some details are hazy and what I mean is is this zombie thing a nationwide problem or only a problem int his reservation town. Other than that, I really liked it and I recommend it to anyone looking for something different in their zombie genre. I am giving the film an A- for a final grade.




No comments:

Post a Comment