Thursday, July 2, 2020

Artemis Fowl (2020)

Thanks to the 30 day movie challenge and how specific it was, there was a lot of films that have been released that I have been meaning to catch up on. A lot of films that were supposed to see theatrical releases for the first time ever were released on various platforms rather than being pushed back and today's film Artemis Fowl is one of those as it was released on Disney Plus last month. The film stars Ferdia Shaw in his first role as Artemis Fowl Jr., a kid who is basically way too smart for his own good, but is the heir to a family secret that is being threatened to be exposed when his father is kidnapped by an evil being somewhere in a magical world. So, he'll have to resort to some unorthodox tactics to try and save his father before it's too late. The film also stars Colin Farrell (The Gentlemen) as Artemis Fowl Sr., Josh Gad (Murder On The Orient Express) as Mulch Diggums,  Nonso Anozie (Conan The Barbarian) as Domovoi Butler, Lara McDonnell (Love, Rosie) as Holly Short, Judi Dench (Murder On The Orient Express) as Commander Root, Tamara Smart (The Worst Witch) as Juliet, Nikesh Patel (London Has Fallen) as Chief Tech Officer Foaly, Jake Davies (A Brilliant Young Mind) as Chix Verbil, and the film was directed by Kenneth Branagh (Murder On The Orient Express).

Spoiler Alert: I may say things in this paragraph that could give away some key details so proceed with caution. I have to be honest in saying that while I think this could have made some money in the box office, I think this was definitely the smartest choice by Disney to have it streaming on their service. No one knows if theaters are ever going to be the same again and Universal is willing to bank on streaming services for their films so Disney may not be far behind. Now as far as the film is concerned, I definitely was a big fan of the special effects and the imaginative things they did with the story, but I kind of hated the ending of the story. I was hoping for a big time showdown with Opal that would involve magic and what not, but instead we get them rescuing his dad with magic as it teleported him out of their. Then we just get a bunch of we are going to get you scenarios that definitely left me up in the air as far as whether I want more or not. I definitely feel a sequel could have been up in the air had it done well in the box office so it remains to be seen what happens next. I definitely liked the acting in the film which was a saving grace for them, but I wanted more Colin Farrell. Nonetheless, the film is available and it has it's ups to go with the downs, but if I am being 100% honest with you all it's not a bad film. That is why I am going to give the film an B+ for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment