Monday, July 6, 2020

The Foot Fist Way (2006)

Danny McBride (Eastbound & Down) is someone that rose to fame in the comedy world in the mid to late 2000's thanks to Pineapple Express for me. So, I decided for today that I wanted to check out some of his more earlier films to get to know where he started in his career and thanks to Amazon Prime, I am checking out The Fist Foot Way which was released in 2006 and was written and directed by Jody Hill (Observe And Report). In the film McBride plays Tae Kwon Do instructor Fred Simmons who seems to be the guy that has it all from the hot wife, the cool car, and obviously a kick ass job, but nothing is what it seems. Events in the film begin to unravel all of the things that are going wrong for him like the unhealthy marriage and an obsession with a movie star. The film also stars Mary Jane Bostic (Funny Or Die Presents...) as Suzie Simmons, Ben Best (Land Of The Lost) as Chuck "The Truck" Wallace, Spencer Moreno (Eastbound & Down) as Julio, Carlos Lopez (John Wick) as Henry, Ken Aguilar (The Jailhouse) as Rick, Collette Wolfe (Hot Tub Time Machine) as Denise, Erica Owens (Because You're Too Nice) as Mrs. Fisher, Nicholas Stanley as Lil' Stevie Fisher, and Jody Hill as Mike McAlister.

I have to be honest in saying that I actually was not a big fan of this film and while it carries a lot of similarities between this and Observe and Report as far as style of humor, but it wasn't as funny. I mean thought Danny McBride was well... Danny McBride, but even that only carried the film so far in it's quest to be an indie hit. The film definitely showed how much potential he was going to have and this was his breakout role, but to be honest I loved it more when Jody Hill showed up in the film. He was the kind of character that took advantage of the fact that the students had no idea who he was to try and act like a bad ass which I thought was funny. For the short amount of time on screen he definitely left an impression in my head. This film is kind of a reality check that no matter how great we think we have things in life, I don't really think that we do because anything can go wrong from the cheating wife to finding out that you're hero is just a complete dick. There were some funny parts in the film, but it just felt like it dragged a little bit for me and I honestly couldn't wait for the film to be completely over. That is usually not a good sign for me, but to be fair I am going to give the film an B- for a final grade for the fact that it wasn't terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment