Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Devil's Advocate (1997)

A movie that has always intrigued me since it's release was 1997's The Devil's Advocate and I have no idea why it took me 23 years to watch the film. Nevertheless, I needed something to watch for today and Netflix happened to have the film so I chose it for today. The film stars Keanu Reeves (Toy Story 4) as hot shot young Florida defense attorney Kevin Lomax who has an unbelievable track record in Florida as he has never lost a case in his life. That kind of record garners some attention from the big Apple as Kevin is offered a very well paying job to be the new defense attorney at a high law firm with a high end boss. The only problem is that things may not appear to be what they are as Kevin takes the job and it could cost him everything. The film also stars Al Pacino (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) as John Milton, Charlize Theron (Mad Max Fury Road) as Mary Ann Lomax,  Jeffrey Jones (Mom and Dad Save The World) as Eddie Barzoon, Judith Ivey (Flags Of Our Fathers) as Alice Lomax, Connie Nielsen (The Hunted) as Christabella Andreoli, Craig T. Nelson (The Family Stone) as Alexander Cullen, Tamara Tunie (As The World Turns) as Mrs. Jackie Heath, Ruben Santiago-Hudson (Shaft) as Leamon Heath, Debra Monk (This Is Where I Leave You) as Pam Garrety, George Wyner (Spaceballs) as Meisel, and the film was directed by Taylor Hackford (Ray).

One of the things that hit me really hard for some reason was the scene when Keanu was struggling to get into Charlize's room at the hospital and she cuts her own throat. For some reason and I don't know why, but it just shocked me and made me sad. If you think about it for a minute, they did their job and that is what was great about this film is that it was the total package. The story was so well written that it had me intrigued from the minute it started to the minute it ended. The twist at the end got me really good because I thought the film was over before that happened and I was like where the hell can they go from here? Let me tell you when you see it, they do not disappoint. The other thing that was great about the film was the strength of the performances which was knocked out of the park by Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino who made a great on screen duo in this film. Then there is everyone else that starred int he film that did an amazing job like Charlize Theron who played the right kind of crazy and even Debra Monk as well. This was an excellent film and I can not believe that it took me this long to watch it. Some of the effects were a little cheesy in some parts, but overall it wasn't that bad. That is why I am going to go ahead and give the film an A for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment