Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Inferno (1999)

When I was growing up, action films were at an all time high as action stars were being created left and right with guys like Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mel Gibson, and so many more. However, my favorite Martial Arts/action star was none other than the "Muscles From Brussels" Jean-Claude Van Damme (Bloodsport) who starred in a ton of films from the late 80's to the early 90's. Much like other action stars, they starred in so many films that it was easy to lose track of some and I have one for you guys today in Inferno which at one time was known as Desert Heat. The film stars Van Damme as Eddie Lomax, a man drifting through the desert with no purpose in life other than dying. All of that changes for him when he is jumped by a local gang that runs a desert town. After being left for dead, Eddie now has a purpose and that is revenge and getting his motorcycle back while also saving the town. The film also stars Pat Morita (The Karate Kid) as Jubal Early,  Danny Trejo (Bubble Boy) as Johnny Sixtoes, Gabrielle Fitzpatrick (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie) as Rhonda, Larry Drake (Darkman) as Ramsey Hogan, Vincent Schiavelli (Fast Times At Ridgemont High) as Mr. Singh, Bill Erwin (Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead) as Eli Hamilton, Jaime Pressly (Joe Dirt) as Dottie Matthews, Kevin West (Bio-Dome) as Vern, Priscilla Pointer (Blue Velvet) as Mrs. Henry Howard, David 'Shark' Fralick (The One) as Matt Hogan, and the film was directed by John G. Avildsen (Rocky).

Now this is definitely not the best Van Damme film I have ever seen, but it wasn't all bad or was it? The villains in the film are kind of uninteresting because the acting was kind of terrible and the action was a little terrible too from them. These were guys in my opinion who didn't belong in the same stratosphere as Van Damme, but they were bad enough that you couldn't wait for Van Damme to kick their ass. I am not so sure how I felt about the comedy in this film because it felt a little too over the top and forced. These people have no idea who Van Damme's character is, but one is falling in love with him (naturally!), one is willing to dump bodies off of a cliff for him, and the other one has given him free reign over the weapons in his shop while a bible thumper is OK with him having a threesome with two girls he just saved. The funny thing too is that there are two gangs who are rivals for a desert town in the middle of nowhere which makes no sense to me. This was also not my favorite Danny Trejo film, but I enjoyed the presence he had in the film even though I could figure out at times if he was alive or dead or an illusion which I believe he was all three at one time or another in the film. So as I said, the film has it all from action, explosions, fights, guns, sex scene, and more so what else could you be possibly looking for? Well, better acting for one, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it too because I like things that land on the cheesy side of life like Pat Morita as a southern man. That is why I am going to give the film an C+ for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment