Saturday, March 14, 2020

Spenser Confidential (2020)

There was a lot of buzz recently in the social media/internet super highway about a film that was premiering on Netflix that featured Hip Hop star Post Malone (credited as Austin Post). That film is called Spenser Confidential and it gained some buzz because it marks the fifth time that Mark Wahlberg (The Other Guys) and director Peter Berg (Collateral) have worked together. The film follows Spenser (Wahlberg), a former Boston Police Officer who was sent to prison for beating up his boss. The day he is released from prison, that said boss is murdered and a police officer Spenser knows is framed and killed for the crime. This bothers Spenser so much that he'll team up with his roommate to get to the bottom of what is going on and it gets dirty. The film also stars Alan Arkin (The Rocketeer) as Henry, Winston Duke (Black Panther) as Hawk, Iliza Shlesinger (Instant Family) as Cissy Davis, Michael Gaston (Bridge Of Spies) as Captain Boylan, Bokeem Woodbine (Overlord) as Driscoll, Marc Maron (G.L.O.W.) as Wayne Cosgrove, James DuMont (Dallas Buyers Club) as Bentwood, Post Malone as Squeeb, Hope Olaide Wilson (I Can Do Bad All by Myself) as Letitia, Colleen Camp (Die Hard With A Vengeance) as Betty, and Kip Weeks (The Strangers) as Macklin.

Out of all the films that Wahlberg and Berg have done together (Patriots Day, Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon, and Mile 22) this is definitely a different project for them that shows that Wahlberg still has what it takes to be funny. I was pleasantly pleased with him and what he brought to the table because we have enjoyed this side of him in multiple other films. Alan Arkin was Alan Arkin, the man is just amazing in everything he does as I have not seen one bad film with him yet. I was not sold however too much on Winston Duke as I thought his acting int his could have been better. I think he is supposed to be this interesting character that is the opposite of Wahlberg's and he was just flat and uninteresting in my opinion. I thought Post Malone was good for the time that he was in the film which while it wasn't a lot it was definitely effective. Iliza Shlesinger I thought was so over the top that while some may think that is bad, it was perfect because she is supposed to be this unbalanced, but strong confident Boston gal and she did it well. The accent she used was pretty good in my opinion and reminded me of the Hyundai Super Bowl commercial with Chris Evans that's how much I liked it. I thought there was a decent amount of action in the film to go with what was going on, but one thing I will say is that this isn't the best private detective film there is around, but it was entertaining. I actually enjoyed watching this one then I did The French Connection last night and that is saying a lot. In the end I am going to give the film an B for a final grade and while there could always be a sequel, I would be OK without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment