Friday, March 6, 2020

The Little Hours (2017)

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of the film that I chose for today, but it featured a really good collection of a cast that I couldn't resist watching it. Back in the 14TH century, Giovanni Boccaccio wrote a collection of novellas that has been restored to it's original form in the book The Decameron and director Jeff Baena (Life After Beth) decided that he would write the script and turn it into a film called The Little Hours. The film stars Dave Franco (The Disaster Artist) as Massetto, a guard for a wealthy Lord who gets into something he shouldn't have and now he is on the run. Massetto by chance runs into a priest by the name of Father Tommasso (John C. Reilly) who agrees to take him in under one condition, that he pretends to be a mute. That will prove to be challenging when the nuns in the convent begin tempting him. The film also stars Alison Brie (How To Be Single) as Alessandra, Kate Micucci (The LEGO Batman Movie) as Ginevra, Aubrey Plaza (Ingrid Goes West) as Fernanda, Molly Shannon (Wet Hot American Summer) as Sister Maria, Fred Armisen (Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy) as Bishop Bartolomeo, Jemima Kirke (Girls) as Marta, Nick Offerman (Bad Times At The El Royale) as Lord Bruno, Adam Pally (The Mandalorian) as Guard Paolo, and Paul Reiser (Mad About You) as Ilario.

Have you seen the collection of actors in this film in the above paragraph? That alone should be the sing that you are actually about to watch a really good film. Now I will warn that there is a lot of sexual content in the film because that is what the story was based around in that no matter what we do sometimes even the holiest of people can give in to sexual desires. These are women that are training to be nuns so that they can make their families proud because I guess back in those days it was the noble thing to do. Today we want our kids to go to college and get a great job and back in the 14TH century it was I would like my son or daughter to be a priest/nun. At one point in the film, I wanted to be frustrated with how over the top Audrey Plaza was as she acted like herself, but then again I said this is a comedy after all so I believe it fits the context of what they are doing. Dave Franco deserves all of the honors in the film as he did such an amazing job in the film. I mean John C. Reilly was simply John C. Reilly and that equals great, but Franco deserves some credit as well for everything he had to do. Alison Brie and co were fantastic as well and big props to Molly Shannon who held her own as well. I loved the chaos of the film especially during the witchcraft scenes because it added something different to the film and I loved the cinematography and imagery of it. I definitely think the film is worth checking out and you can find it on Netflix as we speak. I am going to give the film an B+ for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment