Friday, March 20, 2020

Vincent N Roxxy (2016)

I have decided that I was going to check out one more Zoey Deutch film before I took a break from reviewing all of her films because I enjoy them so much. So, I turned to Netflix for our next adventure and I came across an interesting one entitled Vincent N Roxxy which was released in 2016 and it was written and directed by Gary Michael Schultz (Devil In My Ride). The film stars Emile Hirsch (The Girl Next Door) as one of our title characters Vincent who while on the run from the city manages to bump into a runaway named Roxxy (Zoë Kravitz) who was trying to evade getting hurt by a drug dealer. Along with Vincent, they move their lives to where Vincent is from, but trouble is about to be at their doorstep like they've never seen before. The film also stars Zoey Deutch (Vampire Academy) as Kate, Emory Cohen (Lords Of Chaos) as JC, Kid Cudi (Need For Speed) as Suga, Beau Knapp (The Nice Guys) as Daryl, Jason Mitchell (Straight Outta Compton) as Cordell, Jeff Gum (Day Of The Dead: Bloodline) as Johnny, Kim Collins (Django Unchained) as Big Gary, and Dominic 'Taz' Alexander (The Power Of Few) as Jayden.

The film is kind of a slow burn for most of the film after it starts with a little action, but when you get to the end of the film you are just blown away. You definitely do not see it coming and it hits you out of nowhere. It is definitely the best 20 minutes that you will ever watch as the proverbial sh** hits the fan as the events of the beginning of the film come to bite them at the end. The acting was actually one of the strongest points of the film and Zoey's role in this film was very different than her usual. She played a bartender with an obvious past who just loves to party and have a good time, but she's also caring as well. The whole time I was watching this film, I didn't realize that Emory was Varg in Lords Of Chaos because this was a very different role for him and quite an annoying one if I am being honest. I thought he was really good and his acting was good, but his character was just lame and totally opposite of his brother Vincent. Vincent was more of a reserved, not running wild with emotions kind of person which suit Emile Hirsch very well like he was tailor made for the role. The cinematography was probably one of the stronger points in the film especially with some of the shots of him leaving the city and just how gritty everything looked. As I said before, the ultimate payoff of the film is the last 20 minutes or so because it's one you do not see coming and made it worth the wait. The movie is on Netflix right now so if you want to check it out, I do recommend it. That is why I am going to give the film an B for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment