Friday, March 13, 2020

The French Connection (1971)

I decided that for today's film, despite the fact that it's Friday The 13TH, I am not going to review a horror film because I have seen every Friday The 13TH movie already. This is all about discovering new films that I have never watched before and for today with the fear of the Corona virus looming with shutdowns, I would check out another Sheldon's Choice which is 1971's The French Connection. The film stars Gene Hackman (The Poseidon Adventure) as Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle, a tough as nails NYPD Narcotics detective who just wants to clean up his city. One day, he stumbles onto a huge drug ring that could have very bad implications for the future of New York that is being led by a French Connection. The film also stars Roy Scheider (Jaws) as Buddy Russo, Tony Lo Bianco (Blood Ties) as Sal Boca, Fernando Rey (The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie) as Alain Charnier, Marcel Bozzuffi (Z) as Pierre Nicoli, Bill Hickman (Bullitt) as Mulderig, Arlene Farber (I Drink Your Blood) as Angie Boca, Frédéric de Pasquale (Swords Of Blood) as Devereaux, Harold Gary (Man Against Crime) as Weinstock, Patrick McDermott (Joe) as The Chemist, Eddie Egan (The New Mike Hammer) as Simonson, and the film was directed by William Friedkin (To Live And Die In LA).

I went into this film with high expectations since it did win the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Gene Hackman), Best Editing, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Remember, they beat out A Clockwork Orange in two categories that year so I had to know just how good this film was and I thought it was just OK. I thought Gene Hackman definitely deserved the award he received for his performance because he was just relentless in this film. I think the thing that bothered me the most about the film was the ending and how it all came together because the build up was amazing. It's like they are teasing you constantly that they are close and then all of a sudden the proverbial sh** hits the can and it's over. I hated the fact that they actually ended the movie with the intention of having a sequel because it was more than obvious. The one man he wants to get this whole entire film is the one that gets away is just way too convenient. I feel like as soon as I decided to sit down and watch the second one that I am going to treat like I did Godfather 1 and 2 and that is that they are one film. I thought Roy was really good in the film, but they made the right choice in not giving him best supporting actor because he wasn't a huge factor like Hackman was. The film is gritty and there is going to be a language barrier because of some of the terminology used in the film, but remember that this was the 1970's. Therefore I am going to give the film an B+ for a final grade because I am harsh on the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment