Sunday, May 31, 2020

Bloodshot (2020)

I figured before I start the 30 day film challenge tomorrow that I would check out a film that I wanted to see before the pandemic hit, but I just never got a chance to until it hit my local Redbox. Everyone knows that Marvel and Disney have dominated the box office for the last ten years or so and every once in a while a studio gets gutsy and they try to tackle a comic book title that diehard comic book fans know about which was the case with 2020's Bloodshot which is based off of the Valiant comic of the same name and directed by Dave Wilson (Avengers; Age Of Ultron). The film stars Vin Diesel (The Fast and The Furious) as Ray Garrison, a soldier in the US Army who thinks he was wife was killed by a terrorist and that he was murdered only to be brought back to life and given some superpowers. Unfortunately, there is always more to that story and if he finds out they are in big trouble. The film also stars Eiza González (Baby Driver) as KT, Sam Heughan (A Princess For Christmas) as Jimmy Dalton, Toby Kebbell (Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes) as Martin Axe,  Talulah Riley (Inception) as Gina Garrison, Lamorne Morris (Game Night) as Wiggins, Guy Pearce (Iron Man 3) as Dr. Emil Harting, Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson (Game Of Thrones) as Nick Baris,  Alex Hernandez (Hemlock Grove) as Tibbs, and Siddharth Dhananjay (The Real Bros Of Simi Valley) as Eric.

I am going to be honest in saying that in reality it's only worth the price of a Redbox rental because I wouldn't have paid the price of admission at a theater for this. In the comics, it had been years of missions and getting captured by a rival for him to finally realize what had happened to him thanks to P.R.S.. In this film, we don't know exactly how many missions he had been on and it only seemed like a few until Wiggins who "awakens" him tells him how many he has killed. I am not sure if it was Vin Diesel that was the problem I had with the film or if it was the fact that Bloodshot looked nothing the comic books that was my problem. I understand that they were going for a more realistic look with him because a gray human being with a giant red spot on his chest would give him away everywhere he went, but even Captain America looked like Captain America. For what it was, it had some cool moments in the film particularly all of the fight sequences were pretty cool if I am being honest, but that is kind of where it ends for me. Guy Pearce played a good villain like usual, but the other villains were kind of uninteresting so you couldn't wait to see them get their asses kicked. I am going to give Bloodshot a C for a final grade cause it kind of let me down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment