Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Sonic The Hedgehog (2020)

One of my favorite video games as a kid was Sonic The Hedgehog for Sega Genesis and when my mother bought me that game, I played it for hours and hours. Years have passed since then and with an animated series, I thought that was all we would get until the announcement of the film, but unfortunately thanks to Covid-19, I was never able to see the movie until now right on my VUDU app as it is today's film. The film stars Ben Schwartz (Parks And Recreation) as our really fast blue alien known as Sonic The Hedgehog. You see Sonic has been living on Earth for some time after having to escape his home planet and things are going good until he creates a power surge in a small Montana town. That power surge attracts the wrong people like an smart evil genius known as Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) who wants to catch him and experiment on him, but it will take the help of a small town cop (James Marsden) to help Sonic escape. The film also stars Tika Sumpter (Ride Along) as Maddie, Natasha Rothwell (A Year And Change) as Rachel, Adam Pally (The Little Hours) as Wade, Lee Majdoub (The 100) as Agent Stone, Neal McDonough (Captain America: The First Avenger) as Major Bennington, Frank C. Turner (Needful Things) as Crazy Carl, and the film was directed by Jeff Fowler in his major motion picture debut.

One thing was for certain when I started watching the film and that was I didn't know how they were going to handle the idea of turning him into a film. We all know that a lot of video game movies fail at the box office with the exception of a few, but most of the time they fall flat. So, I had that to worry about when I started the film, but in the end I was rather pleased with what I saw. One you have to give the filmmakers a lot of credit because they listened to their fanbase and they redid all of Sonic's animation for the film. A lot of people were outraged and they knew the film would tank if they didn't do something about it, but they did and they get kudos for that cause he looked a lot better. I definitely loved the story and I loved where they went with it because it became a buddy road trip kind of film with a lot of laughs and it was cute. I thought James Marsden was great in the film and he would almost get MVP status, but that honor belongs to Jim Carrey who played one hell of a villain who in my opinion saved the movie. Jim Carrey was the right man for the role and he knocked it out of the park playing a great villain. If you are a fan of the character and the games then I definitely suggest that you at least check it out once because it's definitely worth one. I am going to give the film an B+ for a final grade because there is some really cool action scenes and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment