Friday, May 1, 2020

Voice From The Stone (2017)

I was looking for a film to watch today and I realized I haven't seen enough Horror films yet and I have this amazing app I haven't used a lot called Shudder. If you are a horror fan and you do not have this app then you are truly missing out on the amazing library they have which leads me to the film I chose for today which is 2017's Voice From The Stone which was directed by Eric D. Howell (From Heaven to Hell). The film is based off of the novel La Voce Della Pietra which was written by Silvio Raffo and it stars Emilia Clarke (Solo: A Star Wars Story) as Verena, a nurse who goes from house to house and she helps children that are in need of help. She decides to take a job looking after a boy who has fallen silent after the passing of his mother, but soon haunting things begin to happen at the manor. The film also stars Marton Csokas (The Amazing Spider-Man 2) as Klaus, Caterina Murino (French Fried Vacation 3: Friends Forever) as Malvina, Remo Girone (Ford V Ferrari) as Alessio,  Lisa Gastoni (Come Play With Me) as Lilia, Edward Dring (In The Coat's Pocket) as Jakob, Duccio Camerini (Bruno Is Waiting On The Car) as Doctor, and Kate Linder (The Young and The Restless) as La Vecchia.

I am going to be perfectly honest in saying that I had no idea what the "horror" part of the story was because I understood the plot. She is trying to convince the boy that everything is in his head and that he needs to speak because his mother would be disappointed in him if he didn't. Then it all starts to make sense towards the end of the film when she starts hearing the mother as well and she ends up finding out some haunting truths about some of the people she talks to. I don't think it's a possession story by any means, but more of a ghostly brainwashing if you ask me because all of a sudden she wants to stay and she can't live without them and what the mother says to the boy in the beginning comes true after all. You'll have to watch the film to get what I am saying because it's really not that scary at all. The fact that Emilia gets naked in the film is not that big of a deal because she spent most of Game Of Thrones naked to begin with. The acting was fantastic from Csokas and Clarke while the overall tone was that grayish haunting look for a while mixed with some bright colors. The cinematography was pretty good with all of the great shots of the manor and other scary angles. That was one scene actually that scared the crap out of me was the scene at the top of the watchtower. There was definitely some suspense there, but not enough to help this film. That is why I am giving it an B-/C+ (somewhere in there) for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment