Monday, May 4, 2020

Fun With Dick and Jane (2005)

It's Monday, it's a new month, and it's a new week of films that are available on every streaming services everywhere and I was in the mood to watch a comedy for today and I looked to someone who I adored as a child. The man I am talking about is none other than Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective) who I have followed since his days on In Living Colour and for today we are checking out 2005's Fun With Dick and Jane which was directed by Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest). The film stars Carey as recently promoted VP of public relations Dick Harper who works for a major cooperation that threw him out to dry when all of their stocks plummeted. With his back against the wall and everything being taken away from them, Dick and his wife will turn to a life of crime to make ends meet. The film stars Téa Leoni (Jurassic Park III) as Jane, Alec Baldwin (A Star Is Born) as Jack McCallister, Richard Jenkins (Step Brothers) as Frank, Carlos Jacott (Grosse Point Blank) as Oz, John Michael Higgins (Yes Man) as Garth,  Richard Burgi (The Green Inferno) as Joe Cleeman, Aaron Michael Drozin (The Ant Bully) as Billy, Gloria Garayua (Driving While Black) as Blanca, and Angie Harmon (Agent Cody Banks) as Veronica Cleeman.

Originally as I was watching this film, I thought that the plot and the events of the film sort of mirrored the events of Enron so that's what I thought the film was about. I had no idea that the film was actually a remake of a 1977 version that starred Jane Fonda. So upon reading that, it changes my perspective on the film a tiny bit, but I just want to be clear that I really liked the film. I definitely believe that this is not the best Jim Carrey film in the world, but it was a lot better than a lot of the films he was coming out with. While the film wasn't laugh out loud funny all the time, it had a lot of great moments in it and that starts when they turn to their life of crime. That right there was some dynamite stuff that made me laugh and they did something with the story that I loved. We all thought that Dick and Jane were going to screw Baldwin's character at the bank, but when it failed we were all like wow no happy ending? Then they throw you a curveball out of left field that was satisfying because you wished this had happened to the Enron people. Unfortunately real life is a hell of a lot crueler than Hollywood and that happy ending did not happen, but there was a quick reference at the end of the film to Enron. The film is available right now on Netflix and I definitely think it's a film worth checking out especially if you want to hear Baldwin's ridiculous southern accent. I am going to give the film an B for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment