Thursday, May 14, 2020

Downsizing (2017)

There are a lot of actors who love to use their art as a way to express their personal beliefs and believe me this has been going on for quite some time. The film that I chose for today is one that I avoided only because of the general reaction of people that left the theater when it was done, but with the help of HULU, I have decided to check out 2017's Downsizing which was written and directed by Alexander Payne (Nebraska). We all know that sometimes in this life, it seems like we'll never get the leg up on others who seem to have it all in terms of wealth. Well, what if I told you that the amount of money you make in your current life would make you rich if you shrunk yourself to be only five inches tall. Would you do it? That is the question that Paul Safranek (Matt Damon) faces in this film when he realizes that he can live a more comfortable life being five inches tall, but is he really happy? The film also stars Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained) as Dusan, Hong Chau (BoJack Horseman) as Ngoc Lan Tran, Kristen Wiig (Whip It) as Audrey, Rolf Lassgård (The Hunters) as Dr. Jorgen Asbjørnsen, Ingjerd Egeberg (Mammon) as Anne-Helene Asbjørnsen, Udo Kier (Blade) as Konrad, Jason Sudeikis (Booksmart) as Dave Johnson, and James Van Der Beek (Jay And Silent Bob Reboot) as Anesthesiologist.

I know a lot of people left the theaters saying that this was another excuse for Damon to get the word out about his care in the environment and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. I mean isn't that what films are for? Are they not there to convey a message to thew audience to try and raise awareness on the impending doom that is already upon us because we never pay attention to the signs? I mean this isn't anything new and it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Nonetheless, I feel like the film conveys two messages and I like that they did that. They did it in the form of two people with Damon being the one who cares what happens to the planet and Christoph Waltz as the guy who says if the planet is ending then I am going to live it up because it's better than being isolated. Who does Damon ultimately choose in the end, well watch the film to find out. Waltz was absolutely amazing in the film, but the real star was Hong Chau who absolutely stole the show in my opinion. She provided the film with some much needed comedic relief as sort of Paul's love interest and when I say much needed I mean it. The film overall was decent and it had some great cinematography, but it's definitely not the best Matt Damon film that I viewed this year. Check it out on Hulu for yourselves, I am going to give it an B- for a final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment